Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Morning (Afternoon & Night) Sickness Blues



Who coined the term morning sickness anyway???  For those of us that make several trips to the bathroom a day (or have the displeasure of dry heaving on the side of the road) know otherwise.  The tummy topsy turvies can hit at any time of day and the slightest thing can trigger an episode.  I've been "praying to the porcelain god" for about 4 weeks now and boy am I over this emotion :-)

I had horrible morning sickness with my daughter but a lot of it was due to the stress I was experiencing in my life at the time.  I also had stomach issues prior to getting pregnant.  My episodes were very predictable.  The alarm clock would go off at 6 am; I'd fight with the snooze button until 6:30 am and then five minutes later at 6:35 am all hell would break loose.  I'd spend no less than 15 minutes trying to seek some relief while the radio played in the background.  The same songs would be playing every morning while I was getting sick (each day I made a mental note to contact the radio station about this foolishness).  Now because of this I have a list of "morning sickness songs" that I can't listen to without getting ill to this day pregnant or not!

This time around the radio is off and the only sounds are of me crying into the toilet.  Luckily I'm close to the home front when disaster hits but have had several occasions where I had to use a plastic bag in public or deface a sidewalk or two.  As people looked at me with a mixture of curiosity, concern and sometimes disgust (did she start happy hour too early???) I always managed to protest "I am pregnant, not contagious or hung-over!"  All eyes turned sympathetic and I would get a remedy suggestion or two on how to cope.

On the brighter side, things are getting progressively better and I can at least hold down some food and water.  I've also been told that morning sickness is a good sign that all is well and on track with the baby.  I had my first doctor's visit last week and the doctor said that I was severely dehydrated and needed to rest (easier said than done!) for a week or so.  She blessed me with a homeopathic remedy before I left and suggested that I pickup some pulsatilla from the local health food store to help with the nausea.  Though it takes a little time to work it has definitely helped.

Regardless of the changes and challenges I'm truly enjoying this experience!  Motherhood is a blessing and all these things prepare us for the road ahead :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment